Free School Meals
Who is eligible for Free School Meals and the Pupil Premium?
You may qualify for free school meals and the pupil premium if:
- You receive Child Tax Credits (but with no entitlement to Working Tax Credit, and a family income not exceeding £16,190 as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) or
- You receive Income Support (IS), or
- Income-based job seekers allowance (JSA). Please note Contributions Base JSA is NOT a qualifying benefit, or
- You receive Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or
- You receive the Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit, or
- You are National Asylum Seeker Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- By applying for free meals, you could raise valuable extra funding for your child’s school through the Pupil Premium. It is therefore important to complete this form even if your child is in reception, year 1 or year 2 and gets a free meal automatically, in order to ensure that the school receives as much funding as possible.
- You do not need to renew your application each year unless your child is a sixth form pupil. Once granted, your child’s free school meals will continue until they finish Year 11, unless your circumstances change and you no longer meet the qualifying criteria.
- Sixth Form students attending Leicester City schools must re-apply each year.
- You do not need to send any proof of benefits to us at this stage. If we do need to see evidence at any time, we will contact you.
- Claims can only be processed upon receipt of a fully completed, valid application form, and cannot be backdated.
- Please ensure that you sign the form before sending it to us.
- Pupils who are in foster care are not entitled to free school meals if their foster parents are paid a fostering allowance.
The FSM team will carry out frequent eligibility checks by means of the DfE’s online Eligibility Checking Service. Vouchers will be cancelled where eligibility has ceased. Schools will be notified of cancellations as soon as possible. Parents/carers should inform the school if they are no longer eligible to claim free school meals.
Free School Meals applications can be made in the following ways:
- Online, via http://www.leicester.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals/
- By telephoning the Free School Meals Service (0116 454 1009 Option 3)
- By visiting any of Leicester City Council’s Customer Service Centres
- By completing an application form (available to download here) and posting via the schools internal post, or via the Royal Mail to:
Free School Meals Service
Children and Young People’s Services
91 Granby Street
For information and advice from the Free School Meals Service:
Telephone: (0116) 454 1009