Welcome to Discovery Class!
In the Discovery Class, we use a range of visual aids to support with our learning, understanding and communication. Some of the things we use daily are:
- A class visual timetable to help us to understand the structure of the day
- An individual timetable for the children who are able to navigate the day more independently.
- Now and Next boards to support some children who require the day broken into smaller steps.
- The Picture Exchange Communication System is used in the Discovery Class. All children have their own PECS Book. All of the books are different and tailored to each individual child’s likes and dislikes.
- We also use choosing boards for many of our activities in class.
Here is a photograph of some of the things we regularly use.
In the Discovery Class, we have opportunities daily to practise and develop our personalised learning goals and our academic targets.
- Individual or small group learning - These are used to develop key academic concepts and to support the development of children’s communication and interaction targets.
- Whole Class Activities - These are our interaction activities such as Sensology, Lycra Games and Parachute Games. Our class routines, such as Hello and Good Afternoon are also delivered as a whole class interaction activity.
- Exploration - Children are given lots of opportunities to play and interact with their peers, sometimes supported and sometimes observed from a distance. Our toys are rotated on a weekly basis to allow children to extend their play skills and encourage them to explore a wide range of resources over time.
- Choosing - These sessions are built into our timetable and allow children to have time with their high interest activities.
- Independent Work - Some of our children are developing their independence skills and are beginning to complete some tasks more independently. This helps to support their smooth transitions into mainstream inclusion.
During the spring term, we have explored the outdoors in all weathers. Our favourite was the snow!
We have an amazing newly refurbished outdoor area as part of our DSP provision. We also have access to the large, fantastically resourced school grounds. We love the adventure playground! During our outdoor learning, we we also working on developing our individual communication, interaction and play targets. The outdoor environment is a fantastic place to develop relationships with our peers.
Chinese New Year
We learnt about Chinese New Year in the Discovery Class. We listened to some stories about Chinese New Year, our favourite was about a Dragon Monster called Niyan. We also explored Chinese New Year through our senses during our daily Sensology Sessions. We also made some craft items too!
At the end of the week, our classroom was turned into a Chinese restaurant where we experienced some Chinese foods. We practised using our communication skills to request items and worked hard to show appropriate table manners and behaviours too!